Monday, September 28, 2015

Pie, Faith, and the Red Cross


I'm a pie gal.
I consider pie one of the Lord's best gifts.  I really like cake, but I love pie. I daydream about various flavors of pie, my history with that particular type, how it might taste, the texture, pie travel destinations, and on and on.  I grew up learning from my mother to make pie that looks very similar to the above.  Although hers would have meringue.  I am sad that I've not kept up with my pie-making skills, which were exceptional for a kid, if I do say so myself.  I love pie but am now somewhat a boring eater and avoid sugar and gluten.  I am also a lazy cook.  So I don't have it very often.  Thus, I had to have a picture of this piece of coconut creme that I ate on National Pie Day.  It was amazing.

Speaking of gifts.....
If you've read a few of my earlier posts you saw that I am also a fan of Faithbox.  www.faithbox.com  Sorry for repeating a topic, but I really think this is a great company that you need to know about.  They put together great little gift boxes full of inspiration for the mind, body and spirit.  They will ship them to you or someone that you think needs a lift.  They are different each month so it's always a nice surprise.  This month there's a book by best-selling author Jefferson Bethke, "It's Not What You Think" (Why Christianity Is About So Much More Than Going To Heaven When You Die).  I'm eager to dive in!.  Each Faithbox also includes a monthly devotional, "Everyday Faith".  The October booklet is also by Jefferson Bethke and each day's reading is short but thought-provoking.  A delicious-looking (and vegan, gluten and dairy free!) Chocolate Espresso Bean bar from a company named Kutoa is included.  Tag line: "For every bar you buy we give a meal to a child in need."  Then there's the yummy smelling candle packaged in a cute jar with a lid.  

Light the candle, make yourself a cup of tea or coffee, have a healthy snack, and curl up with a good book.  What a great gift, for yourself or someone else that you love.

Donate Responsibly
Also in an earlier post I reminded readers of the importance of checking out organizations you are not familiar with before you get involved or donate funds.  Charity Navigator, www.charitynavigator.org, Give.org, www.give.org, and Charitywatch.org www.charitywatch.org are all good sources.  You may find different types of information on each site so if you want the most complete picture of an organization look at a couple of watchdog sites.  

And then there's the Red Cross
I found it very interesting and encouraging to hear a fairly critical report about the Red Cross on the national NPR network last week.  http://www.npr.org/2014/10/29/359365276/on-superstorm-sandy-anniversary-red-cross-under-scrutiny One of those reporting was a representative from Charity Navigator.  Frankly I wasn't at all surprised to hear the criticism.....they've been in trouble for years.....but I was pleased to hear the Red Cross publicly "called on the carpet", so to speak.  This is a great example of being careful who you give to.  Most people think the Red Cross is wonderful and provide everything people need when disaster strikes.  I'm sure there are small local offices that do a fine job with providing supplies after a fire, etc. However the national organization has been soundly criticized for diverting assets to help their image during Superstorm Sandy, for one of many examples.  So be careful with your funds.  Just google the Red Cross.  There are many organizations that are better managed and are better stewards of your donations than the Red Cross.

Have a blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment